View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Toby Threadgill
United_States
Re: The "real" techniques not taught to everyone?

Hi,

You know...I'm not sure what I think of stories like this and I cannot speak to its veracity given the numerous unknowns that could be present. However, something I am compelled to comment on is the general topic of teaching and responsibility to both ones students and the greater ryu. If someone in a position of authority publicly states that students are being systematicly misled, that begs some difficult questions that deserve answers.

Takamura sensei impressed upon me the that it was his duty to the legacy entrusted to him, to pass his knowledge forward both responsibly and ACCURATELY. When you pass false knowledge forward, you confuse and dilute the real knowledge severely, compromising the quality of that knowledge while risking the veracity and reputation of the legacy you represent. Now, those in other arts obviously get to administrate their organizations however they want but intentional obfuscation of the TSYR mokuroku to its students would be a violation of the kisshomon I took that demands I only act in the best interest of the tradition entrusted to me. I can therefore not imagine doing such a thing. We are not living in the Edo period. The traditions we represent are not in danger of being stolen or compromised in battle by our enemies. In fact the traditions we hold dear are in threat of being lost. To purposely engage in behavior that further compromises the health or vitality of what we represent just doesn't make sense to me. What is the motivation for such destructive behavior? The answers to such a question are not positive ones.

I am commanded to pass ALL our knowledge forward in a way that is responsible and honest. I hold nothing back from any of my students. Obviously, we do have proprietary teachings but these are not intended to "keep secrets" but simply act as a mechanism to identify actual students of TSYR.

TSYR has a historical link to a popular modern budo tradition, Wado ryu. This link provides us unique access to a huge pool of experienced budoka that otherwise would have no interest in koryu. It is one reason TSYR is healthy and growing in size. This relationship however doesn't guarantee us our survival. It does not grant us the luxury of arrogance or irresponsibility. Like most endeavors, if mismanaged TSYR can be lost.

My kisshomon says selfish desires must never adversely impact or compromise the Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai. When I pick a successor that mantra will be at the top of my list.

Respectfully,

Toby Threadgill / TSYR