View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #73
NagaBaba

Re: Aikido and kicks

Quote:
Mark Stokmans wrote: View Post
Ukemi is not al that difficult.
Mark
Communication on internet is not easy, we know other person only from what they are writing.

From your post I think you don't know how to kick. And also, you've never experienced correct kick. Otherwise you would never write such bizarre things like 'parrying with the hands' or 'catching the leg' - ask 3rd dan TKD to attack you and try to catch his leg LOL!!!!!!!. You are dreaming my friend............

I agree 100% with Randy - looks like he knows what he is talking about.

Ukemi after kick is very difficult. Nage doesn't have much control to help uke fall down. That happens for many reasons:
1. Because the distance is rather big, irimi must be very deep and entry very fast - nage simply doesn't have time to take care of uke later.
2. if timing is rihgt, uke falls down in the moment of contact - as with kick there is not much contact, nage can't help uke execute safe fall.
3. Techniques against kick are very direct and linear - for reason not to create too much opening for counter. So once the attacks become difficult, uke must have really excellent gymnastic skills to safely fall down - there is not place at all to turn hips in preparation to land. It is very easy to injure head or shoulder by yourself.

For sure, ukemi skills can be built to deal with those issues, but it takes a lot of time.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo