View Single Post
Old 06-05-2002, 08:43 PM   #4
jk
Gee Bruce, I guess I'm wasting your time...

I've had the pleasure of working with a very competent small circle jujitsu yudansha during my hapkido days, over the course of several years. Those small circle, pain compliance techniques do work, and indeed our hapkido was much colored by emphasis on small circles. And yes, I've sometimes added bits and pieces of small circle to the aikido I learned.

My take on this is that it is more worthwhile to learn aikido movement first, since (at least for me) aikido movement does not require fine motor skills to the extent small circle jujitsu does. To make it short, you blow a small circle kotegaeshi, you might be in a bit of trouble. You blow a typical aikido (at least Aikikai) kotegaeshi that includes big circular tenkan movement and kuzushi, you end up for the most part in a less dangerous position. You WILL mess up techniques, but if your fundamental movement gets you the hell out of the way, that's a very good thing. IMHO, you should get your gross motor skill movements down first, before you mess around with fiddly stuff...YMMV, of course.

In case you're interested, his name is Chris Peterson, and he works out at the Island Judo/Jujitsu Club in Alameda, CA.

Regards,