Thread: kotegaishi
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2002, 06:21 PM   #13
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Goldsbury
1. I have seen many kotegaeshi techniques where the atemi focuses on the attacking hand or arm. How do you feel about this? (And 'straight' was merely meant to indicate timing rther than direction: it comes at the same time as the attack).

2. An eminent sensei once taught me that the taisabaki for kotegaeshi and irimi-nage should be similar. This is not what the late Doshu used to do, by the way. Our Shodokan friend Peter Rehse said somewhere that irimi-nage was an atemi technique. I think he is right, but would you say the same for kotegaeshi?

3. Background: the way O Sensei does kotegaeshi in 'Budo Renshu'.,
I'd guess that these are more suggestions than questions so I'll be thinking of them next time I'm dodging TSUKI or doing IRIMI NAGE. For the sake of discussion, though:

1. Hadn't thought of it. I imagine a strike inducing that heart-cringing, fire up the arm kind of pain which takes your breath away would provide a very tidy distraction for NAGE. I think I'd want to do it with my elbow, though, rather than try to get a knuckle accurately into metatarsals in such proximity to UKE's own knucles. A good shot to the soft parts of forearm or upper arm (or funny bone) would debilitate, too, I should think.

2. As regards TAISABAKE, the way I do the two, I'd have to go deeper on KOTEGAESHI to make them similar. Will try it.

As regards IRIMINAGE as ATEMI, um, er...I hadn't thought of that either. This might partly be because of the model to which I'm aspiring to emulate at the moment. Both Ikeda Hiroshi and Mary Heini do this wonderful version where UKE basically walks his legs out from under him/herself with very little or none of the standard clotheslining usually done with this technique. I can certainly see it as ATEMI, though. Actually, as many times as my KOTEGAESHI has failed I tend to regard that IN THE MAIN as ATEMI. Unfortunately, I tend to regard NIKYO through YONKYO that way, too.

3. Curling UKE's hand tightly into itself being the Budo version? At a Kawabe DR seminar in NY last year that gentleman showed me to align my knuckles with UKE's and concentrate on the forearm rather than the
hand, noting laconically: "Kote is kote and wrist is wrist".

(Albert! It's worse than sarcasm--it's homework! Sheesh!)

(Thanks, Peter.)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/