View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: aikido waza that best train aiki...do

Hi Rob,

You started using the term:

"the big energy "C""

I haven't seen that one before and may, or may not, be familiar with it accept I don't know what the term "the big energy "C" indicates.

It would be hard to answer your question for every aspect if I'm (we are) not familiar with all of your referents.

When you mention "windings," I am assuming you are referring to the windings that coil around the legs and arms? (Not to mention the windings around the thorax, back to front, front to back, through the hip structure, etc. . . at least I think of that as part of windings as well.)

One other complicating factor is when you describe, for example, your ushiro Kokyu nage I'm not definitely sure what you are talking about. Even some what "universal" techniques can be done quite differently school to school, individual to individual. So the technique could be described, the attribute applied, and communication assumed, and misconception ensues.

Not that I think what you are doing here is wrong. I think it is great actually!

One last complicating factor, as Dan, Mark and I were discussing on another thread. A technique could be done with Aiki with completely different results (out vs in Aiki [not just a description of uke]) depending upon the choice of Nage if they are equipped to make that choice.

To start with, as I was taught, suwari waza shomen uchi (nage initiating) ikkyo has windings, central pivot, upper cross, central equilibrium,etc. (I couldn't speak to "big energy "C"" for the reasons mentioned already.) Uke can be neutralized, exploded, or imploded.

Do you think of the body as opening and closing as well? Along the juji cross (the cross of Aiki)? Techniques can be explored that way as well.

How about comparing the "narrative" of waza in terms of breath (kokyu), and intent, and ki? Or kiai (harmonization of kokyu, intent, and ki). Or kime? (Kind of like a seismograph.)

On the other hand, how do these things figure in *before* and/or after physical contact?

Sorry for spewing my brain started to dump.

Please keep up the nice posts Rob,

Allen
(Please note I never claimed to have any level of mastery over either the conception or mastery of any of the stuff I talked about. Each practice serves to highlight how much I DON'T know and CAN'T do! )

~ Allen Beebe