View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #30
Keith Larman
United_States
Re: Is Aikido "Hard"?

Finding time for training can be hard with a loving wife and child at home who need time and attention as well. Training isn't hard. But when it comes to learning... I'm reminded of a quote from Nietzsche.

"For me all truths are soaked in blood."

The idea of being willing to completely tear apart what you think you know in order to learn something of a higher order. To do battle with complacency. To fight the urge to say "that's good enough." Those things are all hard.

And it doesn't matter what you're doing as long as it is non-trivial. People who study tea ceremony. People who learn everything there is to learn about postage stamps. People who study Japanese swords (oops, that's me again). People who paint, sculpt, act, sing, dance, etc.

So is Aikido "hard"? Well, I'm not sure that's the right question for me at least. What it does provide is a rich framework of things that I could spend two lifetimes trying to figure out. And since I'm pretty sure I'm only allocated one lifetime, well, Aikido will be able to provide me a lifetime of challenges. A lifetime of chances to battle with what I think I know and what I think I can do...