View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #197
Tim Fong

Dojo: Aunkai
Re: Defending Against Grappler Using Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Don,

Tim gives some good advice. I agree with his comments and observations concerning teaching aikido and extended KI and what not.

FWIW, I worked with Tim a little when he was over here on the east coat for the Aunkai seminar.

Tim, you weigh like what....145-155 pounds soaking wet?

Tim has been working hard on aiki, BTW I don't think he is an Aikidoka either by any stretch of the imagination.

Doing the Aunkai exercises and Jo staff work, Tim was very impressive and strong. I weigh about 90 lbs more than Tim for sure.

He will also tell you that he is not any where near and expert level, but a rote beginner, which I would agree to, but much better and the conditioning drills, and internal skills stuff than I.

Anyway, has nothing to do with "he can kick my ass" or "yea I can't do it, but I can kick his ass" mentality. The thing is, that is impressive to see guys learn "Aiki" (Aunkai) and be able to do this stuff.

Just thought I'd throw that out there!

If you have time, it would be well worth it for you to spend time with Mike Sigman, Dan, or Ark...if only for a weekend. It will open your eyes to looking at aiki in a way that you may not have considered.

As you know, I share your same observations concerning aliveness, grappling, Judo, and BJJ.

I do have to laugh eating pancakes and talking about KI..I have done that very thing as well.
Kevin,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm around 130, and definitely a beginner. I know I have a long way to go before my training is complete. And though I may have some internal training, I'm a ways from being able to absorb one of your full power overhand rights. Not to mention 4 or 5 of them in a row And the training you and your guys do, is awesome. Bujutsu for the modern era, I think. Thank you for sharing your insights with me.

Stay safe out there this weekend, and I hope we can all train together again soon.

Best,
Tim

Last edited by Tim Fong : 08-30-2008 at 12:20 AM.