View Single Post
Old 06-04-2002, 10:27 PM   #60
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
That's assuming you are limiting your definition of atemi to hard strike with a closed fist. Atemi waza in its full sense is not something you just pick up.

Aikido contains strikes, its there, it always has been there. I don't understand the purpose of limiting your training in this respect and then going somewhere else to learn what you eliminated.

Quote:
Originally posted by chadsieger
Thanks for replying!

It my held belief that a any newly appointed shodan, who has yet to atemi in his/her career, who is comfortable with most techniques, comfortable with the feel of using an opponents energy, and well versed in the pricipals can learn how to add atemis in under an hour. My suggestion would be to supplement his/her Aikido training with boxing, tai chi, kung fu, ect., for an hour on the weekends during thier Aikido training.
My point simply is this; atemis will come naturally with learning the techniques. Look for opportunities to strike constantly while training of course, but hip/body/ki(whatever) usage is where Aikido derives its power. Concentrate on using that power for maximum results.

Thanks for reading!

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido