Thread: kotegaishi
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2002, 03:25 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Goldsbury With kote-gaeshi, especially done as an 'ura' technique, you always need to get into a position to do atemi. The interesting question is where the straight atemi is most effective. Any ideas?
Are you asking us?

This reminds me of the way the patrician State Department language teacher Earl Stevick characterized most language classes: "Say something so I can tell you how well you said it." I think Goldsbury Sensei must have finished checking the pile of papers on his desk and is now ready for some comic relief.

Bearing in mind Nietzsche's admonition that the attraction to education would be small indeed if we didn't have to overcome so much shame along the way, I'll report the fruits of my own investigations knowing 1) that Peter is a gentleman, and 2) that his keyboard won't convey guffaws to the distraction of the forum.

Ahem.

With the caveat that "straight atemi" hints at trick question--why specify straight?--I'll venture that my own rule of thumb is to apply ATEMI before, during, and sometimes after the attack.

Before the attack, the ATEMI--here, I suppose it would be a "straight" ATEMI--functions as a distractor. I direct it between his eyes with my right hand if he's attacking with his right hand. It disrupts his breathing, breaks his momentum (and usually balance as well) and redirects his gaze allowing me time to situate my hand on his arm--whether or not I hit him.

During the attack, I like to pop UKE as he breaks the corner of my TENKAN. This is an uppercut. Indeed, I like an ATEMI at all transitions--breaking a pivot, going under arms, etc. If he has closed on me, I throw a front leg front kick into his groin and pop him again. Again, during training, I don't actually make contact.

After he hits the ground, I may jab him once in the ribs if I've missed my timing rolling him over and he does the curl up into rigor motis routine. Patty Saotome demonstrated a very nice ATEMI on me once when I was resisting in this position; she drove her thumb into the recess behind my ear and I rolled right over. Short, but effective.

"The interesting question is where the straight atemi is most effective."

This sentence throws me. "Straight", I've already mentioned; and then there's "most". If he knocks himself out running into my first ATEMI, then that was most effective, eh what?

Over to you, Peter.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/