View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #165
Timothy WK
United_States
Re: "Aiki" in Russian Video Clips

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
I look at Rob's (very good) descriptions and illustrations of Ark's exercises and what little has been divulged here of the manner of doing others such as shiko. From that it seems, visually and intuitively that you are simulating the condition of the body in a loaded condition -- but without the load...
You're simply wrong about what the exercise is doing.

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
... to which my response is -- most genuinely -- But Why? Why not just work on actually loaded stability...
Ahhh, why indeed... Maybe you should contemplate that question, instead of rushing forward.

Ark will demonstrate shiko with a person on his back (0:34 - 0:44), so he obviously can handle the load. But why doesn't he normally practice that way (with 175-200lbs on his back, I mean), if it's better/faster as you suggest? And how is it that he's acquired the skill to handle such a load---with such ease, no less---without regularly lifting that much weight?

As someone who used to load trucks for UPS, I can say with authority that it's not very easy for someone who's only 175 lbs---and that's my weight, I think Ark might be a couple pounds lighter---to lift that much, even when you stay upright and load the weight into your thighs...

Whatever he's doing seems to be working pretty good...

--Timothy Kleinert