View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #36
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Does aikido work against dogs?

Hi Ricky,
How are ya?

I've been thinking about this topic for the weeks that it is has been here. I waited to respond until something 'came to me'.
Well, here's what came to me.
Mental Framework:

You can't use aikido against anything. You have to use it with 'something'; be it dog, cat, boss, cheeky forum posters..., etc.

The description of your plight sounds like you're attemting Kaeshi-Waza against someone who out-ranks(skills) you in the dojo.
OLD DOG:NEW DOG
They've set up territory, they have determined all the rules which you don't yet know, and they are maintaining their 'status-quo' as big dog. Fight or flight might be our first line of response, but placing your mind in the position of Uke wil allow 2nd line responses to emerge. The dog is attemting to communicate one thing. You will hear the holes in his strategy when you relax your thoughts. You will be handed some gem of wisdom to deal with this situation in an aikido fashion if you really let yourself receive . Not the dogs bite, but the dogs intention.
Don't try to reverse it yet. Just go with the situation in your mind for a little while. You're going to come up with something that blows even your own mind. And then you'll be the 'nage whisperer'.

Good luck. I know it can get 'Ruff' out there.

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 08-19-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems