View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #26
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Quote:
Salim Shaw wrote: View Post
Roy Dean is a dan holder, not a novice, far from a beginner. Definitely a competent, professional martial artist. The video below provides a glimpses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D10w1VFGZh0

Many of the earlier practitioners of Aikido, direct students of the Founder, such as Kenji Tomiki and Minoru Mochizuki advocated Judo and propelled the methodology of Judo with their Aikido. Below is proof of the connection of Aikido/Judo.

"There are, moreover, several interesting historical connections between Aikido and Judo. Kano witnessed a demonstration by Morihei Ueshiba in 1930 which resulted in him sending several of his top Judoka to study under the Aikido Founder. Kenji Tomiki, the creator of Tomiki-style Aikido - often referred to as "Sport Aikido" was an advanced practitioner of Judo in the 1920s and strongly influenced by Kano's theories. Tomiki later became a prominent figure in the development of prewar Aikido and a senior instructor at the Kobukan Dojo. Another fascinating historical sidelight is the fact that Admiral Isamu Takeshita, who would later become an enthusiastic student and patron of Morihei Ueshiba, arranged for top-ranking Judo instructor Yoshiaki Yamashita to visit the United States in the early 1900s where he taught jujutsu to President Theodore Roosevelt."

With all due respect. I'm not really interested in an intellectual debate to massage your ego or advocate the principles of flowing Aikido dance moves. I'm not interested in experiencing some introspective, religious, spiritual awakening from Aikido. I was merely speaking to individuals who would like to foster or evolve their Aikido to the next level of martial excellence. Those who want to arm themselves with the best knowledge possible to move Aikido to the next stage of progression. The objective is for one to discover who they are. Aikido will mean different things to different people.
You can't really determine what kind of conversation you will have when you enter into a conversation. You open the door to whatever is on peoples minds . Spirituality, or being awake, is in many peoples practice, the next step, or a potential evolution of aikido. It is part of the conversation.

Having said that, I will say it is a matter of 'order of operations' as to your argumnent about what evolution is....The teachers you mention, and O'Sensei himself, practiced many martial arts and were excellent in the them BEFORE he was inspired in the movements of Aikido. To simply only reinstate those arts would be to essentiall go backwards in time,to devolve. And it would be a devolving of conciousness to atempt to emulate the violent tatics of the past in the climate of today. We live in a time that demands Takemusu Aiki and Shobu Aiki. Not simply Aik- jitsu or some new brand there-of. Our fathers did that work so we could do other, in their footsteps, but in this time.

Metaphor:A little like using this computer instead of sending you all letters ( i do love to write letters, but it doesnt serve this communication purpose.)

And for anyone who thinks I'm saying 'don't learn your craft' on any level, I'm not.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems