Old 08-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #111
Dan Austin
United_States
Re: "Aiki" in Russian Video Clips

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
I remember you did this type of analysis before:
http://aikiweb.com/forums/showpost.p...36&postcount=1
but my understanding and THE point here is that you do not claim the ability to be able to do any of the things Dan does and teaches in terms of using aiki. If that is the case, and you can model it so well, what's the point? Who does it possibly help? I'm seriously not trying to pick a fight - I'm just really not understanding your intention.

Rob
I think it's just reflexive bloviating at this point. And no matter how cleverly he tries to spin it, the implication we're supposed to get is that he knows how to do these things. Maybe he can secretly meet up and learn what's really being done, then someday claim that's what he was doing all along. Perhaps this is all laying the groundwork for that, and if so I imagine he won't be the only one to try to pretend he was on the boat all along. In the end the only thing that will matter is the skill level of the individual, and anyone who meets both Dan and Erick will know the deal. As I've said before, I don't see Erick meeting up with anyone for precisely that reason. The thing is, all Erick's meaningless over-analysis might have a use if he actually knew how to do things correctly.He's not wrong that an accurate western understanding could be useful someday, but he would have to physically demonstrate understanding before his discussions can be taken seriously. At this point nobody's ever seen him ride a bike, yet he's jumping into a discussion by people interested in cycling and telling Lance Armstrong about the torque Lance is applying to his bike pedals. And thinking that somehow that doesn't appear ridiculous. People want to hear from the pros Erick, not from the guy in the bleachers holding the oversized foam hand.