View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #48
MM
United_States
Re: Pre War Aikido, 1930 through Iwama period

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Mark,

I have a serious question here. How much of Morihei Ueshiba's own discourses are you going to accept as relevant to this discussion? After all, Ellis Amdur's original discussions in Three Peaches and Hidden in Plain Sight derived in part from a close analysis of those parts of Takemusu Aiki that had been translated into English.
Hello Peter,

I'm sorry I couldn't get a reply back quicker. Things got busy here.

Being in the U.S. and not having access to quite a bit of material, things are a bit murky in regards to Ueshiba's history. Not to downplay Stan's research or your own, but I'm finding that I have to rely upon translations. Sometimes that is good and sometimes that isn't.

Not to demean Ellis or his articles on Aikido Journal, but I find them a stretch at times. I've read through the later posts by you and Allen and it sort of goes along with my thoughts. But the major hurdle is always having to rely upon the translation. And in my case, the majority of books being published are translated by someone affiliated with the Aikikai.

I've learned enough about the Japanese culture to know that while they won't lie, well, they will lie. Up to that point, the material can, and has been, spun with a different aspect to it.

So, I ask questions and propose theories. Being that I'm not a scholar in this area, I hope that they are at least semi-intelligent.

I'm trying to learn Japansese, which isn't an overnight thing. One of these days, maybe I'll be able to read some of the texts and then have an intelligent conversation with you.

Where did you get your text of Takemusu Aiki?

Thank you,
Mark