View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #57
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States
Re: Instructors of low rank

Quote:
Roy Klein wrote: View Post
However, despite this lousy experience, I don't see why lower ranked students shouldn't give class, as long as they stick to something everyone's familiar with and not try to invent the wheel on the spot. I think it'd be even better if the head instructor would tell them that.
Quote:
Andrew Hanson wrote: View Post
Well said right there, well said!
Well said or tongue well held---what is the difference?

The issue of dealing with your circumstances---including what you think should be, shouldn't be, could be, couldn't be, should have been, could have been, and so forth---is larger than this one case. It's everyday life for everyone, and people have thought about these situations for a long, long time.

Here's a koan that struck me as similar to where you are now:

Quote:
Fifth Gate: Hyang Eom's Up A Tree

Master Hyang Eom said, "It is like a man up a tree who is hanging from a branch by his teeth; his hands cannot grasp a bough, his feet cannot touch the tree; he is tied and bound. Another man under the tree asks him, 'Why did Bodhidharma come to China?' If he does not answer, he evades his duty and will be killed. If he answers, he will lose his life.

1. If you are in the tree, how do you stay alive?

http://www.kwanumzen.org/misc/12gates.html
Sounds corny maybe, but does it sound familiar?

For me, the dojo---and aikido in particular, since that's my bent---is a good place to examine these things, and---if you're very lucky---a skillful teacher may force you to face them.