View Single Post
Old 05-30-2002, 05:24 PM   #40
tedehara
 
tedehara's Avatar
Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Location: Evanston IL
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 826
Offline
Question Aikido Formula

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
...Didn't O-sensei say something like "aikido is 90% atemi"?
You are correct!
However I wouldn't take that quote too seriously. It seems that people misinterpet authorities like O Sensei. One of the main reasons is that modern people interpet things literally. Ancient people and I would put O Sensei in this category because of his psychology, were not literal but poetic.

Perhaps a commentary could be like: Aikido is the spirit of atemi. You are doing something completely. You are not passively waiting for something to happen.

After all, if you literally believed Aikido is 90% atemi, then what is the other 10%? Why didn't O Sensei mention that also?

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
  Reply With Quote