View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #17
dps

Re: What Is Love, Aikido Style

" Love thy neighbor as thyself."

Other ways of saying it are;

"Do to other as thou wouldst they should do to thee, and do to none other but as thou wouldst be done to." Socrates

http://www.humanitarian.net/interfai...a_vincit_amor/

* Christianity: "So in everything, do to others, what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the law and the prophets" -- New Testament: MT 7:12 NIV

* Buddhism: Treat not others in ways that yourself would find hurtful.-- Udana-Varga 5.18

* Baha'i: Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself. -- Baha'u'llah Gleanings

* Confucianism: One word which sums up the basis for all good conduct...loving kindness. Do not do to others what you would not want done to yourself. -- Confucius Analects 15:23

* Hinduism: This is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you. -- Mahabharata 5:1517

* Islam: Not one of you truly believes until you wish for others what you wish for yourself. -- The Prophet Mohammed, Hadith

* Judaism: What is hateful to you do not do to your neighbor. This is the whole torah; all the rest is commentary. -- Hillel, Talmad, Shabbat 31a

* Native Spirituality: We are as much alive as we keep the earth alive. -- Chief Dan George

* Janism: One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated. -- Mahavira, Sutravitanga

* Sikhism: I am no stranger to no one; an no one is a stranger to me. Indeed, I am a friend to all. -- Guru Granth Sahib, pg.1299

* Taoism: Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbors loss as your own loss.-- T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien, 213-218

* Unitarianism: We affirm and promote respect for the interdependent of all existence of which we are a part. -- Unitarian principle

* Zoroastrianism: Do not unto others what is injurious to yourself. -- Shayast-na-Shayast 13.29

---------------------------

I bet O'Sensei's definition is in there somewhere.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.