Thread: Atemi
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 04:49 AM   #92
eyrie

Australia
Re: Atemi

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
I would love to but I think your description is best with the exception of the semantic use of the word vital which means the same as pressure point the way I have learned and show/teach it.
I'd prefer to be semantically correct... less chance for confusion or misunderstanding...

Oh... OK, I thought you meant something else, but I see you were being deliberately obtuse. Thanks for clarifying though.

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote:
IAs for atemi, as well as aikido pinnings and throws, they depend on the element of surprise. Without surprise, they are much less likely to succeed.

It is also my impression that atemi, as well as pinnings and throws, primarily need to relate to the opponent's direction of energy (ki, if you will). That is more important than certain specific points on the opponent's body.
In martial strategems, the element of surprise is always a good, and sometimes, necessary advantage. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Sure... everything is "relative" to the opponent's direction of energy or "ki"... with the flow, against the flow, orthogonal to the flow. Certainly, specific points provide direct access to the opponent's "ki" in specific ways, but I agree... it's not something one should actively look for or rely on. But like everything else... the more I practice, the better I get at targeting them - without even trying...

Ignatius