View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #90
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Atemi

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
To clarify, there are (generally accepted) 36 vital points on the body. "Vital" in the sense of being potentially fatal. Not all pressure points are "vital"... certainly not some of those demonstrated by Glen Levy.

Perhaps you could clarify/explain what you mean by "Vital Connection"?
I would love to but I think your description is best with the exception of the semantic use of the word vital which means the same as pressure point the way I have learned and show/teach it.

Vital connection with Uke is simple enough to explain too... Any Aikido technique when examined closely enough has a few pressure/vital points that Nage may use to control/blend with Uke. A very common one is the "funny bone" area of the arm and the one Glen showed above the inside elbow area. When executing KG Omote one starts at the inside of the shoulder near the vital point at the junction of the shoulder and the clavicle with a "tap" and then cuts down washing the inside of Uke's Arm to his/her elbow. There is also as Oyata explained the idea of rotating and leading ukes arm like a sword cut or as he puts it "rowing the boat." A "gentle tap" applied to a vital point can help Uke blend with the technique a little bit better.

William Hazen