View Single Post
Old 05-30-2002, 10:05 AM   #25
aiki_what
"aiki_what"
IP Hash: 9fbb21a4
Anonymous User
Freaky!

"If someone made that comment to me, I would probably stop the technique and ask them to explain themselves. After listening to them, I'd have to decide if they're correct or mistaken. I've always been intensely interested in my mistakes. Perhaps that's just me.

As for doing atemi, I'm not against using it. However, how can anyone say they can do a technique, when uke is already falling down because of a strong atemi? As an experiment, try doing a technique without atemi, then do it with an atemi. Sometimes there is a real difference."

Ted,

Good points. I usually like to examine my mistakes "after" a technique (It drives me crazy to stop in the middle). Even though the way we practice usually deals with a pre-determined outcome I feel the intent during the technique should be one of constant adjustment.

As to the question of atemi, isn't all techinque after the initial disruption/blending of balance/ki/flow just icing on the cake independent of whatever it is you use to take charge of the momentum?

The technique is just the stuff that happens after you have either blended and/or established an advantage.