View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Ode to be a Mystic...

Quote:
Kevin Hagens wrote: View Post
I stumbled across a thread on another forum regarding something called "Kuji-in" (www.kujiin.com), the poster was flamed of course but curiousity got the best of me and I started doing a web search on this topic. After a couple of hours or reading and links, it lead to even more questions...that damn internet.

The author claims esoteric skills associated with Taoist, Taiji, Ninjitsu, Bhuddist and even Kabbalic mysticism....I'm fascinated by mysticism or mystics (O Sensei) yet very skeptical.
Dear Grasshopper:

Following an earlier advertising effort which led to a vigorous response, Mr. LeClerc went out and got himself some more credentials.

The exoteric Buddhist lineage claimed by Mr. LeClerc and the sect with which he claims affiliation is questionable; it has been named in a way which makes it appear to have associations with Japanese sects to which it has no substantive connection beyond the aspirational.

The esoteric Buddhist lineage claimed by Mr. LeClerc is, in a word, nonsensical.

His ordination appears to have all the validity of a martial arts grandmastership awarded by the World Soke Council.

If you are interested in pursuing esoteric Buddhist studies with a qualified instructor in the United States there are a very small number of Tendai and Shingon teachers in this country who take on students; there are a larger number of teachers of Tibetan esoteric Buddhism. The traditions are related, but the Japanese stream branched off a bit earlier in the history of tantrism and has some notable differences from the Tibetan branch.

A word to the wise: Buddhist practice has its own purposes; Buddhist teachers tend to frown on the use of Buddhist practices for ends such as those trumpeted by Mr. LeClerc.

FWIW, there is a broad consensus that the Kuji-in and related practices are basically a Taoist/Shugendo system; certainly the system uses elements found in the Buddhist tradition, but if you want to find someone to teach you "authentic" Kuji-in or Kuji-kiri practice, your best bet is one of the Shugendo sects in Japan.

That practice is also fairly widespread within Hatsumi's Bujinkan organization here in the States. The depth with which the practice is taught there is a different question entirely and I don't have enough personal experience to make a useful comment.

Best,

FL