Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 8

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
My brain hurts...

I was struck by the *possible* association between the emphasis on a reconciliation with the "invisible/hidden" world in light of the recent discussion about the Abe and Takeda Sensei videos. Care to comment on that or am I jumping ahead...

As always, thanks so much for the great deal of work that you put into these.
Chris,

I must confess that I have not followed the discussion about the Abe/Takeda videos with much attention to detail.

Onisaburo Deguchi certainly thought that he was reconciling three worlds, but the way he interpreted the Kojiki depended on a certain interpretation of what is stated there. Norinaga was the arch-philologist of the Tokugawa era and his main concern was with what the text actually stated. Hirata Atsutane and especially his disciples, were more concerned with using their interpretation of the Kojiki as the basis for an ideology. Deguchi took this further and used Hirata's interpretation as the basis for a 'fascist' ideology, with all three worlds (including the entire physical world) reconciled under the Japanese emperor, but with Deguchi as his mouthpiece.

What derailed Deguchi and led to the second Omoto suppression was his overly close association with the young army officers who were the assassins of the Sakurakai and their civilian mentors. The assassins and their mentors used to meet in the Kobukan Dojo. It is likely that some of the officers were Ueshiba's students and it is certain that at least one of the civilian mentors--Okawa Shumei--was a friend of Ueshiba's.

After the second suppression Ueshiba continued his association with the military--in fact he strengthened his association, but the military leaders with whom he did associate were just as 'fascist' in their own way as the young officers who planned assassinations.

It has to be understood by postwar aikidoka, used to seeing aikido as a martial art that enhances western moral values, that reconciling the three worlds is entirely compatible with a very nasty result, namely, a Japanese empire dedicated to total war.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury