View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 10:27 PM   #3
MaylandL
Re: Weight lifting and Aikido

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel Cuevas
I am new to aikido, having been traing in the art for about 2 months. I absolutely love it.
I used to lift weights about 6 years ago...
I thought it would be great to intergrate a weight lifting program (utilizing light weights) into my daily stretching and aikido practice.
...Will weightlifting have a detrimental effect on my progression in aikido? If not, where could I learn about which excercises would best supplement my aikido training? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Miguel and welcome to aikido. Glad to hear that you're enjoying it .

I have a regular weights and cardio workout program at the gym to supplement my aikido training. Been doing this for a number of years now. I took a fitness test before hand and a consultation with the gym instructor about a tailored program for the development of muscle power (not bulk), general toning, building and maintaining good stamina and abdominal muscles. This equates to about 40 minutes of a variety of upper and lower body weight exercises, about 20 minutes on a exercise bike (about 8 miles) and rower (about 5 miles) and 20 minutes doing abs. Its similar training to body conditioning for sprinters because I was wanting to get powerful and quick movements while maintaining stamina (its been good basic body conditioning for aikido).

I spent over an hour with the gym instructor discussing what MA I was doing, the movements that were involved and what I wanted to achieve. I specifically stressed to the Gym Instructor that I was wanting to achieve good body conditioning not body building. So we set some basic targets for weight range for my height (about 140lbs), resting heartrate (about 55) and body fat percentage (10-15%) as a means of monitoring progress.

The weight exercises focus on short sets and reps with increasing weights. For example, 3 sets of 8,6 and 4 reps with light (about 70lbs), moderate (about 100lbs) and heavy weights (about 140lbs) for upper body weights. Lower body weight training use heavier weights but with the same sets and reps. You'll need to set the specific weights for your training objectives and body dimensions/stats.

While on the bike and rower, I need to maintain a heartrate of about 140.

With warmups and cool down stretching it takes a little over 1 and a half hours to complete the program. So far its been very beneficial not just for my aikido training, but general health and fitness.

I pay about $300AUD per year for the gym membership and this allows unlimited access to the gym facilities. You may wish to look at gym membership as an alternative to purchasing your own equipment. Some of the memberships have other benefits/facilities (eg sauna, spas, therapeutic massages, swimming pool, etc) as well and you also get access to a wider range of exercise equipment. Ultimately, you get what you pay for.

Your local gym might be able to help you establish a training program. Perhaps a physiotherapist might offer some suggestions too. Another source could be your sensei or sempais.

Hope this helps and all the best for your training .

Last edited by MaylandL : 05-29-2002 at 10:33 PM.

Mayland