View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 09:57 PM   #2
Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Re: Weight lifting and Aikido

You did say utilizing light weights mixed with stretching - by that I assume you are not going for bulk. What you described sounds very beneficial. I personally am starting to do the same thing mainly because my regular Judo partner (exploring the other side of the jujutsu coin) is massive and my strength needs a bit of work.

Secondly I always tell my kohei (and students when I had them) you always have your strength - in the dojo we work on technique. Usually I am implying that you don't need to muscle the technique but that does not negate the importance of strength training. For that weights can be very useful.

Originally posted by Miguel Cuevas
I am new to aikido, having been traing in the art for about 2 months. I absolutely love it.
I used to lift weights about 6 years ago, and I'm thinking about purchasing a weight set for my home. I train at my dojo 3 times a week and I practice at home by myself on the days I don't go. I thought it would be great to intergrate a weight lifting program (utilizing light weights) into my daily stretching and aikido practice.
My only concern is that some of the literature have I read says that muscle mass is usually a no-no when it comes to aikido. I want greater hand and lower abdomen strength, along with a healthier body all around. Will weightlifting have a detrimental effect on my progression in aikido? If not, where could I learn about which excercises would best supplement my aikido training? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido