View Single Post
Old 08-26-2000, 11:53 AM   #58
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Circle Re: Take care of your uke

Quote:
Victor wrote:

And if anybody blaims me in being too soft to uke - well I really don't care. That's my own way of practice. And I'll always perform a softer technique when I'm practicing with women.
Victor,
I don't want you to take this too personally, but isn't this a somewhat selfish sentiment? Surely Aikido is about both uke and tori supporting each other's Aikido.. If an uke asks you to apply technique with more intensity, I feel it's your duty as good tori to oblige - within reason of course - just as if uke is struggling to take ukemi, when you will need ease off a little..
If you're not allowing uke to benefit fully from your practice with them - by improving their ukemi, and their fitness - it changes Aikido away from the cooperative practice it has at the moment, to something closer to a tori/victim style of practice..

Just my personal opinion, and I'm sorry if I seem to be over-reacting, but I feel that ukemi is vital to Aikido practice.. (Perhaps because I'm having so much trouble learning it, I apreciate the difference when I finally manage to perform good (or at least not terrible) ukemi ...)

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall