View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #127
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Is Aikido effective for police?

David wrote:

Quote:
I used to teach law enforcement personnel with shortcuts in mind as well. No more. I refuse to train to the lowest common denominator, because, in truth, the lowest common denominator doesn't train. Do you see the contradiction there? Training folks who do not train? What a losing battle, what an impossible task! Contradiction lies at the very foundation of said process and the need to provide training doesn't take that away - it simply adds to it.
indeed. I agree with you on that, and also refuse to teach "shortcuts" or "one day SD courses". It is a process. However, you have to make sure that process is "battlefocused" and their are certain "mission essential task" that should be focused on to ensure the method you use is as relevant as it can be without becoming technique based.

It is a big reason we drastically altered the Army Combatives Program away from technique based training.

David wrote:

Quote:
Why bring up live-training environments... Well, for me, the point of such training is not to make you tough or teach you to never quite, the point is to reflect upon one's skills and one's training. When you do that, when you see folks fall apart in said environments, where all they can do is "tough it out," and you are coming from this latter perspective, you quickly realize, there are no shortcuts, just the delusion of shortcuts.
Yes, this is key. To measure and hold accountable your skills and abilities, and to provide you a model of where you are at in your training. It also follows the "train as you fight" paradigm and the "default to the level of your training" paradigm which says you will do in reality what you do in training.

David wrote:

Quote:
So yeah things take time, lots of dedication, etc., but that need, as great as it may be, does not make the opposite true - that one can achieve something, even anything, with minimum to no commitment. Again, this is not a popular view, getting less popular every year, but this is the view I feel I need to adopt to remain a responsible instructor in this profession.
yes lots of time and dedication. It is about being a warrior and being mastery. A colleague and I were talking the other day about the concept of mastery and it's low social value in our society.

In the military we have seen an increase in "warriorship". I can get guys out to train on a regular basis at my office that would have never considered it before in years past. The war has something to do with it. Our culture has shifted in the Army some.