View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #120
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Is Aikido effective for police?

Second try...

Up to this point, there is a lot of talk about mixing and matching Aikido, about going outside of Aikido, etc., to make it effective for police work, etc. I was trying to comment on this position. In my experience, when folks talk like this, they usually have come to define Aikido or understand Aikido by little more than kihon waza training and/or by what has become the almost universally custom for training in kihon waza. For me, this is understanding is really a misunderstanding of, first, the kihon waza training process, and, in the end, Aikido.

I do not define Aikido by what has become "customary" practice and/or by what has customarily have become "kihon waza." That training, and that process of training, is about building a base. If it's a base, then something is supposed to go on top of it. The problem is not that Aikido has no top to it, but that folks, by nothing more than a lack of pursuit, have come to mistake the base for the whole of the art.

Thus, I cannot really adopt the notion that we need to go "outside," etc., because my "inside" is not limited to what in essence is nothing more than the whims of time and history (i.e. the mistake of folks over time coming to see the base for the whole). For me, when I hear folks talking about mixing, inside, outside, etc., well, it hardly makes sense - because there's not supposed to be an outside to Aikido.

Aikido cannot be only of the mind or only of the body, only of the spirit. It is all these things simultaneously, interdependently, etc. In the same way, Aikido cannot separate striking from throwing, throwing from pinning, entering from tenkan, standing from lying on the ground, etc. Kihon Waza can, but not Aikido. This, for me, is what it means to be before a universal (no outside, no inside).

Being a universal is being in Truth (at least from a mystical point of view). Inversely, when things can be so artificially separated, one cannot be before a universal, one cannot be of Truth. Like Kihon Waza then, like the base that is so often mistaken for the whole, when one's Aikido is so separate-able, one is looking at an Aikido that is artificial, as artificial as the abstract learning environments that mark basic training.

(Fire 75% contained) :-)
d

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.