View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
MM
United_States
Re: Making Kote Gaeshi Work - With Resistance

Quote:
Hiroaki Izumi wrote: View Post
Having the correct angular position in relation to Uke is a key part of aikido and probably what you mean by "aiki."

PS I am unsure what you mean by "aiki." It seems like you are using it as a catchall for something that makes things work in aikido. This is not a flame, just a question for clarification. Rock

Rock
Hi Rock,

Rob L. posted some definitions about "internal power" and "aiki" that I think apply. But, let me see if I can clarify a bit.

When I work with some peers in aikido who haven't trained at all in the "internal power" exercises, then I'm finding that they can't get wrist locks to work on me. I've stood on one foot, sideways with my hand extended and they can't get kotegaeshi to work, no matter what angular position they take. (Obviously, weight matters here. If someone decided to jump onto my outstretched hand, I'm going to drop my hand down. There's no way I can hold up that kind of weight on an outstretched hand, but then that isn't kotegaeshi.)

BUT, I can't do that with peers that are working on the "internal power". I have to have both feet on the ground and work at keeping structure because my peers are just as good as I am at "internal power".

AND when I work with those who have much, much better "internal power", I find that it doesn't matter what I do, kotegaeshi works for them -- anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Angular position is not a factor. Plus, those that have excellent jujutsu skills can overcome my structure because, well, I've only been doing this for a little over a year. My "internal power" sort of sucks still. Good skill can overcome it. Give me a few years and I don't think that'll be a factor.

I think that angular position is jujutsu. Having very good angular position can create some excellent jujutsu, but I'm starting to believe that it isn't necessarily "aiki" as it relates to what made Ueshiba powerful. Adding "aiki" to jujutsu creates some remarkable things, though.

Mark