View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #255
MM
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Sure, there are *some* paths which approach the same general vicinity... which could be miles apart, but that's not the purpose of this discussion... I think.

Perhaps we could all get back on topic... for those who have felt "it" (from whomever), and sorta understand what "it" is that needs to be worked on, or can now reasonably do "it" to some degree... what is the way forward to now bring "it" (back?) into *their* aikido. Or would some, like Mark M, have to leave Aikido™ to continue working at "it"?
Hello Ignatius,
I've been out of state for a week and just returned today. Been awhile trying to catch up on the reading material.

In regards to your question, I think it would really depend upon the organization and the dojo. I think of Itten and they can do things as a group that other places couldn't. Also, there are multiple people there working on aiki. It's a different place than an organizational dojo.

But, if you're one person in a dojo that is focused on learning techniques, then, no, you're just going to confuse your body and make the learning slower. For some, that's fine and they don't mind.

I'm not like that. I'm sort of stubborn and I gave it a year's long attempt, even though I knew aikido(tm) training and aiki...do training were conflicting and diametrically opposed at times. I still grumble at Dan's words of slow boat and 180 degrees in the wrong direction. I grumble because it is the truth and they are hard words to not only accept but understand. I'm a bit thick headed at times, so the understanding is slow to dawn on me.

Unless your training/dojo/organization already is working on aiki...do training (and there's probably only 1 or 2 in the whole U.S. -- if you're thinking that you already do this stuff, then I suggest going and rereading all the threads about it on E-budo and here because a lot of people said that. And when they finally got hands-on experience they said, crap, that isn't anything like what we're doing), then doing both aikido(tm) and aiki...do is going to be slow and at times it will set you back rather than help you forward.

That doesn't mean it can't be done.