View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #26
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Do you test like this?

Quote:
Any test that diminishes a student's confidence and that requires the student test again for the same rank ought not to have happened in the first place.
Hi, I'm sorry, but I disagree with this statement. Perhaps I could agree with some minor changes though...

I have been in a situation where I failed a test, and, rather than diminishing my confidence, it inspired me to spend every available night, and saturday, doing as much keiko as my body could stand. Rather than being discouraged, I was motivated to train, train, and train some more, for the month and a half or so between my failure and the re-test.

I was offered to wait until my direct instructor thought I was ready, and then just get the rank without the test. But I thought so highly of the testing instructor, that to me it would be an honor to re-take the test in front of him. And by doing so, live up to his expectation of me and what he had taught.

I would not give up that experience now, looking back on it. I do know some others, however, who did not take that approach, and I believe they suffered for it (just my opinion).

So I guess it is both up to the teachers and the students. The teachers to set and exemplify a high standard, and the students to seek to meet the bar. And if the bar is not met, to not lose confidence, but rather, to be encouraged, to do more keiko, to do more instruction, and to meet that bar.

Best,
Ron (there was no public humiliation involved in this process in any way)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)