View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #43
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Hand Forms

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
Correct I was describing doing it that way for discussion. I also do it with my initial right hand having palm down. It's one of those things that was never obvious to me, so I experiment on people who are typically stiff ukes.

I understand that Dan's approach is not _equally effective_ as the outside-in method, but if outside-in helps 5% - I'll take it. I'm not past the desperation of looking for any deeper hints phase. Maybe I have PTASD - post traumatic aiki-study disorder.

Rob
Ok cool , i just wanted to make sure i was picturing it correctly. I was trying to work out what some of the differences might be, but I wasn't able to come up with much. I think the palm up method seems to feel a little more natural to me though...if I had to pick one.
As for the inside-out/vice-versa approaches: form without substance is empty and brittle; substance without form doesn't exist. I don't see how looking at form precludes development of internal substance...my guess is that Dan doesn't think that either, just that he feels more emphasis is needed on the internal substance than is typically placed.
...am I on target here?
take care!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!