View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #86
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned: Threads About Women In Aikido

Quote:
WOW can't believe all the negative energy and discouraging words, it can't be Aikido.

I am glad Aikido is different for me. Aikido for me is positive energy and discouraging others isn't love.
To me, aikido is often Tough Love (TM).
You contiinue to make up what other people are saying, you don't express clearly your ideas, and you project your own issues on others. If you don't like the box you are in, put it aside.

As others have said, aikido can't be therapy in the medical sense for someone who has been through that horrible experience. The person you refer to should seek counseling from a professional for her trauma (or whatever else works for her). Now, in combination with that, aikido keiko may provide an excellent release for her, and it could even help with issues around feeling powerless, close physical contact, and other things. But that will be up to her to shape and direct. Such spiritual/psychological benefits come from aikido because the individual decides to link the issues to the keiko and to work on them. No one else can do it for you, just like no one else can take them ukemi for her.

Quote:
To be at odds with new ideas isn't what I think Aikido is about. Aikido is also about love and not ugly negativity. I don't approve of that type of thing, if I call myself an Aikidoka. I want to help people and not beat them down because I disagree.
I haven't seen any new ideas to be at odds with. I haven't seen any "ugly negativity". I haven't seen anyone "beating someone down". You are an adult...stand up, take responsiblity for your own words and perspectives, present your thoughts clearly, and you won't be misunderstood.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)