View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #74
Keith Larman
United_States
Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned: Threads About Women In Aikido

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
Ichi go ichi ei... no differences due to gender. We do our best each instant, be responsible, and learn. No agenda... we aren't smart enough to know what's really good for us. Practice for the sake of the practice. All very good "fortune cookie" philosophy, to be sure, but put simply, it works. It's also very difficult, until it isn't.
Yup, that's a good nutshell to put it in.

The process is the reason I train. I enjoy it. I'm sure there are a lot of deep, psychologically interesting reasons why I enjoy training, but for me, ultimately, the "real" reason is just the enjoyment I get out of each moment in the dojo. Ichi go ichi ei.

Much the same reason I've been playing piano for, geez, almost 40 years now... Maybe one of these days I'll get that third movement of the Moonlight *jussst* right. But why should I bother? I'll never play at Carnegie, never play professionally. But I enjoy playing. Can't that be reason enough? And ultimately isn't that really the reason why we do most anything? I ain't gonna be the next great aikido instructor. I'm just plodding along doing my best enjoying the sights along the way...