View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #41
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States
Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned: Threads About Women In Aikido

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote: View Post
Maybe you should tell me why you train as a man. And how do you think it is different from the women you have trained with? Is your motivation for learning self-defense based in a barroom brawl type situation or a matched fight?
"Self defense" is a common answer for women when asked why they train in martial arts. IMO, as the sex that's had the brunt of responsibility for building and maintaining the order of society (historically speaking) just "defense" is a better description for men.

Generally, as a man, you build your personal environment as well as your society's environment and I think there's a duty built into that to protect it. You protect your home, your wife and kids, and when a situation arises where someone is breaking the established societal rules you may also feel a duty to do something about it. "Any man who would do less" the saying goes, "is less than a man."

Many women, my wife included, think it's stupid and a throwback to an unenlightened time in our evolution. But I suspect she and most women wouldn't really have it differently. That's why I train.