View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned: Threads About Women In Aikido

There is strength and there is power.

Men are "stronger". Get over it. Women's hips are wider (designed this way for having babies). So their legs don't go as straight down as mens. For women, that angle gets compensated for at their knees which is simply a physically weaker structure.

Female beginners who get past being annoyed (and injured) by all of the male beginners constantly trying to muscle them (somewhat successfully), have a better chance of developing "power" much more quickly.

As far as the personal reason. What is the stat for women being sexually abused, something terrible like 1/6 or something? (I don't know this to be accurate.) Regardless, I would imagine that the number is high. There are enough other reasons, but I'm sure that factors in.

Then there is the weird social construct. Anyone shamed who wasn't the prom/home coming queen has to deal with some (most likely painful) memories of past social situations. Then they show up to dojos where there tends to always be a queen bee. It's always interesting to see how a new female in initiated into that quasi-social pecking order. People keep working on their issues by creating opportunities to relive them (but rarely change anything to solve the issue once and for all).

Rob