View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #38
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: The poll on aikido spirituality

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Made sense to me . ...and still does . Maybe if I rephrase it you'll see what I'm trying to say.
I sort of got what you weren't exactly saying. All I meant was that there are ways of addressing the ineffable -- they are not the experience itself, but they help to articulate it, not so much for transmitting it to others (that's actually much simpler) but for internalizing its meaning in your life (which then allows you its best expression -- by transmitting it to others) .
Quote:
I don't know the ultimate nature of any of my experiences. As such i don't "ultimately know" them.
Funny thing. Neither do I. Difference is I have reason to hope and minor glimmers of joy (amidst much muck and grimness). A dim reflection. I suspect you have had a glimmer or two yourself. Keep a steady eye out, then.
Quote:
As an agnostic I think it likely the ultimate nature of the universe is incomprehensible. If indeed it is incomprehensible I'm not sure how vocabulary could apply.
If you are agnostic, then how do you know that it is incomprehensible? Or, more to the point, how do you know that understanding, in that sense, really even matters? Love well in hard times, do kindly in shortfall, and know that hope is never in vain. Surely this is among the lessons that the teaching of budo reaches in aikido.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.