View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #30
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: The poll on aikido spirituality

Quote:
Jonathan Hay wrote: View Post
-- the intangible connection I have with God through faith in Christ.
...which connection is also a Person, the Holy Spirit, -- if we are to keep our theology straight. The fire descends where He wills it -- so, who is to say it did not descend to a guy in Japan in the 20's and 40's? Who is to say that a Christian should NOT understand what he has to teach from the standpoint of semina verbi (regardless of how the Japanese may view their own spirituality, or that of Christianity), especially when the man invokes the divine Logos to help explain himself?
Quote:
The scriptural references you gave apparently as biblical justification for violent or martial action are nothing of the sort.
You could not have more widely missed my point, had you tried to do it. Katsujinken.
Quote:
For example, the first reference you gave from Matthew 10:34 is actually speaking of the divisive nature of truth and allegiance to Christ. The sword that is brought is upon Christians by those antagonistic to the faith, not the other way 'round. Christ even hints at this in verse 39.
Thus, in light of this and the many other verses in the Bible commanding gentleness and meekness, it is not scriptural grounds upon which a Christian may justify violent action.
If the "sword," metaphorical or otherwise, is turned upon Christians rather than also wielded by them (as katsujinken, in my view) then why do are we supposed to sell all we own and, among other things, go get one, (and only one), sword? That we are to die by the sword if we take it up is certain, but we are supposed to die to this life in any event, if we are to be reborn in Christ, so why is the vocation of the sword as the means to die to this life a bad thing, theologically speaking?

Dying itself is not of consequence to our salvation -- so properly, faced with attack, we arm ourselves and step under the falling sword. Meister Eckhart said that the Kingdom is only for those who are "thoroughly dead." While deemed kitschy in some quarters, how is this not comparable to what is said of budo in Hagakure? "By setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling."

Thomas a Kempis spoke no less forwardly:
Quote:
Imitation of Christ wrote:
... in this life you are never safe, and as long as you live the weapons of the spirit will ever be necessary to you. You dwell among enemies. You are subject to attack from the right and the left. If, therefore, you do not guard yourself from every quarter with the shield of patience, you will not remain long unscathed. ... You ought, therefore, to pass through all these things bravely and to oppose a strong hand to whatever stands in your way. For to him who triumphs heavenly bread is given, while for him who is too lazy to fight there remains much misery.… Let no man fear any terrors. Let us be prepared to meet death valiantly in battle.
Quote:
I could go on, but this isn't really the place for discussions of the Scriptures. Suffice it to say, nothing you've written really challenges what I wrote.
Well, you were saying that you couldn't relate them to the spiritual understanding of aikido, and I was showing a way (one at least) that it could be done, so I would say that yes, I really did challenge you. And the relation to aikido is proper discussion on this thread topic.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.