View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #29
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: The poll on aikido spirituality

Matthew:

Quote:
I think a person can have a spiritual experience at any given moment of their life, whether that person is buying groceries or kneeling in Church or training. Similarly, I believe we can enrich our spirit through purposeful action.
I'm sorry for being a bit thick about this, but what do you mean by "spiritual experience"? And can you give me an example of purposeful action that is spiritually enriching? (As a guess, do you mean something like prayer? Or some kind of misogi ritual?)

Quote:
Well, sure, but why wouldn't I feel good about myself for having a spiritual experience? Personally, washing the car hasn't proven to be the best approach so far.
So, are you saying that, for you, a spiritual experience may result in feeling good, but that good feeling isn't itself the spiritual experience?

Yeah, I don't find car washing terribly spiritually uplifting, either.

Quote:
If you mean to ask if i agree with the idea that just because something feels good it is good, then no, that's not what it means.
No, sorry, that's not what I meant. And I agree with you, by the way, that not all things that feel good are good.

Quote:
How does anything nurture your soul? Or do you disagree with that concept?
Well, you see, that's what I'm trying to get at. What do you mean by "nurturing the soul"? I've found that there is a fairly wide spectrum of thought on what this means. I'm curious to hear what your is - if you don't mind. I do believe that one can nourish their soul, but how I as a Christian might do this I expect is rather different than how one who is not might do so. As a Christian, my soul, I believe, is not particularly nourished by Aikido training. How about you? Have you encountered spiritual moments in your Aikido training?

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."