View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan
Re: Ken Cottier Sensei in Latter Stages of Lung Cancer

Ken Cottier sensei can rightly be called the mentor of South African aikido, and personal mentor of almost all the current seniors there. I first met Cottier Sensei in I think it was 1990 at the first summer camp I attended, and could not help but be impressed with his passion for aikido, and for people. His heart was all-encompassing, felt even through the pain of his applied shihonage!

I remember well the "war stories" told at the food and drink session after classes, and of driving him around during the 30th anniversary celebrations of the Aikido Federation of South Africa, including to visit a Chinese doctor for acupuncture for his knees.

After coming to Japan I exchanged letter and postcards with Cottier Sensei for some years while training with Abe sensei, but lost touch about two years back. I am saddened to hear of the situation and hope that my thoughts will bring him some support. Cottier Sensei, I think of you often, as an inspiration to my training especially now in bujutsu with the Aunkai, and my way of life. I thank you for showing me and others a better and a decent way by your sterling example. I will never forget you.

Gernot Hassenpflug, Tokyo, Japan