View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #26
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: The poll on aikido spirituality

Quote:
I'd say look harder at what the Scripture teaches, and then look harder at what the physical teaching of Aikido imparts.
I don't think its a matter of looking harder, Eric. I'm a very familiar with what the Bible teaches.

Quote:
Christianity is an emphatically incarnational spirituality, and salvation is yet through the body, though not of the body.
This sounds kinda' vague. The Bible makes it clear that salvation is through a person, Jesus Christ (1 Jn. 5:11-13). His incarnation and subsequent sacrificial death made my salvation possible and in this respect I would agree that there is an "incarnational" aspect to Christianity. However, my spiritual life, though manifested outwardly in the way I live my life, is fundamentally rooted in the intangible connection I have with God through faith in Christ. Perhaps I'm saying the same thing you are, just in different terms.

Quote:
"Be in the world but not of the world." There is this which is of great interest and should, standing alone, compel a committed Christian to greater study of the correspondences between the systems of understanding, their history and import, in my view:
Actually, as I understand it, the world has little, if any spiritual wisdom to offer the Christian, according to the Bible. Being in the world is unavoidable, but being of it, adopting its values, traditions, morals and philosophy is condemned in the Scriptures. (Col. 2:8; 1 Cor. 3:19; 2 Pe. 2:20; 1Jn. 2:15) Other faiths hold certain values and truths in common with Christianity, and noting this is interesting. If I am going to understand and recognize the truth, however, I am better served to study it than a counterfeit of it.

Peter Goldsbury's speculations on the connection between Christ as the Word of God and kotodama is unfortunate. He apparently doesn't understand the scriptural reference in John 1:1 as speaking of Christ, which is what it does. Your example here simply reinforces what the Bible says about trying to synthesize the spiritual truth of God's Word with the wisdom of this world - it cannot be done, at least not without resulting confusion and misunderstanding.

The scriptural references you gave apparently as biblical justification for violent or martial action are nothing of the sort. If this how you are using them, you are exposing your own lack of scriptural understanding in doing so. For example, the first reference you gave from Matthew 10:34 is actually speaking of the divisive nature of truth and allegiance to Christ. The sword that is brought is upon Christians by those antagonistic to the faith, not the other way 'round. Christ even hints at this in verse 39. Thus, in light of this and the many other verses in the Bible commanding gentleness and meekness, it is not scriptural grounds upon which a Christian may justify violent action.

I could go on, but this isn't really the place for discussions of the Scriptures. Suffice it to say, nothing you've written really challenges what I wrote.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."