View Single Post
Old 05-21-2002, 11:43 PM   #10
thomasgroendal

Dojo: Hoshu Portland Dojo
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Bronson

Speaking for one dojo in the style of seidokan aikido.

The principles of aikido:
Masakatsu agatsu (true victory is victory over oneself)
principle of range of effectiveness
principle of blending
principle of circular motion
principle of ki (allow ki to flow)
Three things come to mind.
First I am from Whitehall MI, and so the next time I come home I would like to drop by.
There is also someone teaching in Zeeland MI to my knowledge now, as well as Grand Haven.
I am a student of David Rodriguez, and am currently teaching in rural Japan.

Next if you wouldn't mind explaining the principle of range of effectiveness, I was very curious what that is. Maai, perhaps?

And finally I teach Masakatsu Agatsu as bring the attacker to a higher truth is the only way that the defender can truly win. If the attacker is broken then the defender also loses.
I often see however, though, a more traditional MA thought in the idea that True victory can only be achieved over oneself. Is anyone out there taught the interpretation of Masakatsu Agatsu that I use?

To finish I will include a quote. By a dead author, because it makes me look smarter.
John Donne - From Devotions upon Emergent Occasions (1623), XVII: Nunc Lento Sonitu Dicunt, Morieris
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Life is choice.