Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #44
MM
United_States
Re: effectivness of technique

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
To Mark Murray
What was that?
Just an example of where I disagree that there are no bad techniques. I think besides people not having good or bad principles, there are also techniques that are bad.

Quote:
Do Aikidoka still commonly move all over place to move someone else? Or is this unusual?
That's a good question. And I don't know.

Quote:
That was not a display of anything I would relate to structure, aiki, or effectiveness. I was thinking of issues entirely beyond this when discussing the term effective.
I think I missed that, then.

Quote:
I wouldn't know where to begin to discuss effective in the sense of that type of movement. I'd have allot more to say than "His arm was out 90 deg from his body in the Kotegeishi." With the type of structure displayed; would it really matter at all where THAT body was?
You might not know where to begin. But, for others, they can understand that having the hand out there like that is not a good thing. Body structure not withstanding, the technique itself has flaws. It was just an example of my belief that techniques can be flawed, bad, ineffective, etc with or without having body skills.

Quote:
I think I am out of my element here, and I'll withdraw from the discussion. Sorry to have intruded.
Dunno. You're an element unto yourself?

Seriously, given the question, can techniques be bad, ineffective, or flawed, what would you answer? Coming from a perspective of having good structure.

Mark