View Single Post
Old 05-21-2002, 04:07 PM   #6
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States
Re: Hakama or no hakama.

Quote:
Originally posted by nmarques
PS: None of this is personal, but it just made me think a while, and since I am trying to choose a dojo, should I take in consideration the fact that I should choose one more close to the O Sensei or something more "modern" if you can call it that.
OK, I guess I understand now.

You're asking about the hakama policy as a criteria for preferring to join one dojo over another.

Frankly, it shouldn't enter into the picture. It isn't even noise, much less being significant on a signal to noise ratio.

What matters is a dojo/instructor/senior students that fit your personal situation.

Here is the process that I usually hear recommended to those searching for a dojo:

Go visit all of them that are within a practical commute. Train with them if you can, observe if you can't. Observe the instructor(s) and the senior students and how they interact with the more junior students. Be polite, but ask questions.

After you have made the rounds, reflect on your notes, eliminate any obvious rejects, and visit them again.

Repeat till you find a dojo that you can make a long-term commitment to.

If you have questions, please feel free contact me on this list or to e-mail me privately.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings