View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Force on Force Dynamics

Kit, good stuff. I agree with your responses regarding safety and tradeoffs.

Interesting things happen when you train like this.

Yes, you develop technical and tactical skills.

You learn how to operate under the general pressure of the fight.

You develop a warrior ethos, paradigm, and/or mind.

I don't think when you train in this fashion that the safety constraints impact you all that much in reality. In many ways, I think we even over train to a degree. That is, the attacker has much more skill, ablitliy, time or positional dominance than he might actually have in reality. We also constrain the attacked, for example to remain on the ground and not stand up, or not have any weapons, so he must work much more harder to maintain integrity or defend.

What you have to do is back away slightly from looking at this as a RBSD method of training, that is, "well if he does this...then I do this." and start looking at it from a "Experiencial" or "Feel" methodology. Yes, you train technically in the guard, mount, side control ala BJJ style, but when you do "randori" it is more about the feel and developing muscle memory skill or feel than about RBSD tactics.

So, my take on it is that the safety measure that we employ have an impact (obviously), but based on training like this day in and day out in different speeds, timings, positions, and situations...that you "layer" it out of the equation.

Keep in mind there is no way to guarantee 100% success out of every possible situation, but I think you do about as good a job as you can training this way. Much better than the ole kata, one step method.

So that is point one.

Point two, deals with the technical pressure of the fight. I think this is even bigger than the technical skills you gain. You learn how to operate under extreme physical and mental pressure and remain calm and breath. Again, I think this method "over trains" the pressure, you will experience more here more physically than you will on the street, albeit probably not as much mentally/emotionally. However, you do learn how to operate well under extreme violent persistent pressure.

Third, the whole warrior mindset.

At least for soldiers, I can't speak for LEOs, it sets the right conditions for developing warriors. What is most important is training guys to have not only the ability, but the willingness to fight. This is key for Soldiers. They may not have much technical ability, but just as in the movie "Rudy" we learn that attitude and willingness, and desire count for alot!

Good topic guys!