View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States
A Typical Day, you know, the same old, same old..

Hi All,

As I would wish the very best of everything in life to all of you...it just simply will not happen. The typical day, or the proverbial " same old s**t, different day " has quite a different definition depending at what grid co-ordinate your feet are located.

With all due respect, some do not enjoy the ability to walk without alarm or fear in their immediate environment. Some do not enjoy the security of exiting their "home" and take in mother nature and all that she gives, freely. And, many others, do not for fear of their well-being and that of their families.

On-the-other-hand, what about the many who, on a daily basis, tread through the muck and mire of society. Those folks are instinctively aware of an imposing threat. They are life experienced at body language and physical attitude. Often, they are a veteran of many select encounters that have enabled physical skills that are simplistic and highly effective. These individuals have adapted and survived. The trials of life are a great teacher.

I am of the opinion that two hours a day, three or four times a week, clad in dogi and moving as if a marionette are going to enable those skills...you should re-evaluate the training goals.

If you are of the thought that kicks, punches and strikes are exclusive to " the other " arts, you need to re-evaluate your training goals. If you hold that there is no competition or resistance in your
training, I emphatically suggest you change your training methods.

Again, I wish all the very best life possible, but I believe that each takes from his/her training, that which they are most comfortable.
" Comfort " and " Environment " are synonymous to ability levels.

My food for thought, " Does your ability truly provide you comfort in any environment? ".

Just my thoughts, hopefully it will help someone.

Train well,

Mickey