View Single Post
Old 05-20-2002, 02:56 PM   #8
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Physical practice/oral traditions

Although there is a stronger format to study the lineage of martial arts teachers, how it is taught, why it is taught, and its developement through the years by many striking arts schools, it is less expected in the actual classes of Aikido, but expected to be dealt with by the individual as they continue their own training.

Most of my compatriots in Aikido, including teachers and friends in other dojo's, seem to individually adapt their beliefs to include the various lines and lineages of their own Aikido teachers, with a focus on the developement of Aikido by Ueshiba, Morehei sensei over his lifetime to refine the arts he practiced and learned over his lifetime into Aikido we practice today. Our fascination with passing on tradition Aikido oral teachings is to collectively be able to gather and practice, while keeping the spirit of Aikido alive. Most questions and fine points are discussed in coffee table groups, or at seminars when someone who knew O'Sensei has inside knowledge, or higher authoritys can provide clarity as to the direction we are headed in Aikido.

So ... most people I know are not forcing students to study and learn oral tradition, but somehow, someway, many of the principles of Aikido find their way into classes, or students reading materials. One of the few things that is difficult to record, or write down, is the spirit of practice that is both benevolent, yet disciplined. This tradition, must be experienced ... of course some details being explained as we practice is a big help for oral traditions?

I just love it when sensei's stop in the middle of a seminar, tell some embarrassing story about themselves or someone else, then tie it in to learning the meaning of a technique we are practicing.

Now that ... is one great oral tradition.