View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #55
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States
Re: Starting an all-women's class

Agreed Johnathan, but I would like to offer one more barrier to participation - time. As Diane mentioned, most women who are mothers can only participate while their children are either in childcare or at school unless the dojo is in a location that provides childcare during the class. Some like Diane have the opportunity to take advantage of classes during school hours. Others who are working full time during the day and mothering at night have to find someone who will watch their children for them. Spouses are not always happy about that (especially when you train 2-3 times per week), and babysitters cost money - something that is in short supply for a lot of folks right now. I know for me when I am training full time that can run up to $100/week. Plus as a single mom, it can be really hard to pick up my son from after school care, go home, change clothes, get him fed, get the sitter settled in, and get to class in time to dress out, stretch, and help set up in an hour to two hour time frame. I can't even imagine what that schedule will be like when he starts doing sports activities of his own.

So I guess if I could offer up one suggestion it would be to offer childcare during class, even if for a fee. That would benefit all single parents, and even many married ones. I know quite a few husbands (or wives) who would really enjoy it if their spouse took the kids out of the house for a couple of hours several times a week.