View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #53
JW

Re: Starting an all-women's class

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
But if your feeder classes are segregated, what is the message that you've sent to any that join and stay in the main dojo?

Best,
Ron
Well, I was invisioning a situation like at the dojo I cited earlier in the thread-- instead of separate men's and women's intro classes, the dojo had regular intro classes periodically and then also had women's intro classes periodically too. I agree that if all intro classes were segregated, it would send a bad message.

I'm trying to imagine what message I would perceive from the type of situation I described, and what messages others might perceive.

For me I come up with-- "some dojo members never would have joined without the womens outreach class-- for a reason that is not known to me."

Or if I was a woman in one of the feeder classes, more like: "It's ok if you didn't like the idea of being swamped by men at first-- but now that you know you like aikido we're glad you don't have a problem with it."

I guess one of the problems with this women's intro class idea is that these 2 very positive and feel-good messages are not the only ones that would be perceived in reality, huh?