View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #21
tuturuhan
United_States
Re: Kisshomaru as Interpretor of the Founder's Words

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Mr Arriola,

PAG. Morihei Ueshiba was a formidable martial artist, considered in his contemporary context. Given my previous response, it is hard for me to compare him with anyone. John Stevens has published a book entitled The Philosophy of Aikido, and he makes a plug for the book on the last page of The Secret Teachings of Aikido. He compares Morihei Ueshiba, mainly through his writings and photographs, with major cultural figures like Gandhi and Mother Teresa. This is one of a number of books written or edited by Mr Stevens and they all have prefaces written by the present Doshu or his father. So it is safe to conclude that the Aikikai supports the picture of the Founder conveyed by the books. In Japan the position of the Aikikai is less clear. It does not control the information flow in Japanese as successfully as it appears to do in English and there are no Japanese counterparts of Mr Stevens connected with the Hombu. My own view of the Founder is inevitably coloured by the years I have spent here.

Not all all.

Best wishes,
Prof Goldsbury,

Thank you for your responses.

I must say I cringed at hearing the comparisons to Ghandi, Mother Teresa and St. Francis of Asissi.

I appreciate greatly your picture of Morihei Ueshiba as a man. The organization he founded, has much to do with the "public relations" of any famous figure. The mythology created is most often greater than the truth. Yet, IMHO, I believe that the "essence" certainly speaks through the body.

As such, I asked about whether or not your "individual technique" increased because I am always questioning whether or not "academic" inquiry has an affect on one's ability "to fight" (i.e. intellectually, spiritually or physically). I certainly believe that theory and concept, and understanding the lessons of history "can be accessed" to improve "fighting ability".

Though, many talk more than they do. As such, I am always wary of talk. That's why I enjoy studying the "observable physical motions" in the historical tapes of Morihei Ueshiba. (I am not an aikido stylist. Nor am I a japanese martial arts stylist. Nor do I speak Japanese. But, I learn from listening, observing and physically encountering.

Nonetheless, I greatly appreciate your analysis. (Though, I do question your assessment of some of those individuals you mentioned in earlier posts)

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola