View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Kisshomaru as Interpretor of the Founder's Words

Dear George and Peter,

FWIW, I share a similar experience and opinion to Peter on this matter. Doug brought over the book in question and I began reading it. At first I was kind of excited because it seemed that there might have been a tide shift in what was being translated and published, but as I continued reading I began to get a strange feeling that somehow this wasn't O-sensei . . . yet it clearly was. I either looked around the book, or looked up the book from which it came (I don't remember) and realized that this was an edited collection of quotes. This explained, to me at least, why the work had a certain "feel" or direction to it slightly anomalous to O-sensei's un-edited voice. I have owned Takemusu Aiki for quite some time now, and the it is a "cat of a different stripe."

For a blown out of proportion view of the effects of creative quoting one need look no further than present American politics.

I will defer to Prof. Goldsbury's expertise in these matters. We went to Japan and studied Japanese for similar reasons but he clearly saw his goal to an admirable end. I'm just an amateur but thought I would lend my voice to his . . . once again FWIW.

(I'm also a big fan of bi-lingual publishing so that one can cross check easily.)

Best,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe